Sunday, November 05, 2006

One more opinion...

Hey Clay,

I know, I know, it's been a while since I blogged - things are a bit crazy to say the least...

Okay - it is very normal for a patient to become tolerant of pain meds - a friend's mother is on pain meds for crushed nerves, a condition she will have for life, and they cycle her through pain meds every 4-6 months to keep her from become tolerant to any particular drug. The chemist in me needs to add that you have to be careful of judging a drug because of what you have heard on the streets. Most pain meds (or analgesics) are derivatives of opium. I know that sounds a bit scary for a cop - but it is very simple in terms of chemitstry, changing one small component of the chemical used from the poppy for pain can give you a variety of meds, codiene, hydrocodone, morphine, and yes, heroin. Methadone is yet another deriviative, and altering that chemical slightly allows the patient from building up a tolerance. So please, ask us when in doubt, and we can offer some advice with that shoulder.

As for the anit-depressant - Deana is on so much right now that it wouldn't surprise me if she isn't producing her own endorphins to keep up her spirits and retain what you recognize as her normal personality... a medicine can help keep those endorphins balanced, also keep her relaxed, and add back a quality to your life by helping her, for now, overcome the fear. If she reacts badly to it, tell a doctor, but don't fear that she will become addicted to it, or that she will become someone you don't recognize - that's not the purpose of the med. If you need me, I am always here for you...

I love you all very much...

T

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home